Pickleball is taking the country by storm, and it’s a paddle game that can be played by people of all ages. A lot of guests go to Southwest Florida to see the beautiful flowers that are found in Florida, while others hope that they’ll catch a glimpse of bald eagles in Sanibel.
One of the main attractions for Sanibel Island rentals this year is the game of Pickleball.
What is Pickleball?
Pickleball is a unique sport that uses a paddle to play. The game is a mixture of three main games:
You can play pickleball as singles or doubles, and all you need to get started is a paddle and a plastic ball with holes.
Pickleballs’ name is enticing enough for people to try it out. It sounds fun, and it is fun. The game was created back in 1965 by three dads that were tired of their normal summer activities.
The trio took a short ferry ride, discussed games and came up with the idea for pickleball.
Simple rules and no need for robust equipment, the game has quickly started to grow across the United States and Canada. International communities, including Asia and Europe, have also added courts for the game.
But Florida has become a true hotspot for pickleball. People are gobbling up Sanibel real estate due to its prime location near courts. There are also a lot of people in Sanibel Island vacation rentals just to give the game a try.
South Florida has pristine weather, which makes it a great location to play.
Where to Play Pickleball?
If you want to play pickleball in Sanibel, there are a lot of places around the area to play. The absolute best is the Dunes Golf & Tennis club. But there are plenty of places in the local area to play:
- Sanibel Recreation Center located on 3880 Sanibel Captiva Road
- Dunes Golf & Tennis Club located on 949 Sand Castle Road
- Sanibel Community House located on 2173 Periwinkle Way
Anyone who wants to play pickleball that isn’t located in the area can always do a quick Google search to find places to play.
Places2Play is another great resource that will allow you to search for plays to play the game in your city.
With the rise in popularity of the game, you’ll be sure to find a variety of places to play in your local area.
Pickleball Tips to Follow
If you want to improve your gameplay, the best way is to practice. You’ll want to go out to the court as often as possible and make sure to play singles and doubles to really hone your game. Practice makes perfect, but there are some tips and strategies you can follow to quickly improve your game:
- Stay in the ready position. You need to be able to move quickly, and this means staying concentrated between shots and reduce your risk of being caught off-guard.
- Dink early in the game. A dink is a shot that comes from the non-volley line and is a short, soft drop shot that goes over the net and falls quickly. Longer shots are good, and most players start with them, but a dink just adds another shot to your arsenal.
- Try to lift the shot on the third shot to allow yourself to get into a better position for the rest of the game. A lot of players will slam the ball hard and not have enough time to get close to the net if the opposing player decides they’re going to dink.
- Communication is key when playing doubles. You want to move together, and you also want to communicate with your partner so that they better understand what you’re doing on the court.
Pickleball experts recommend that beginners simplify their game and master the basics before trying more advanced techniques. The community is rapidly expanding, so you’ll also be able to find tutorials, videos, and forums where you can follow the advice of other avid players. When you’re done with your match, go to one of the nearby Sanibel restaurants to discuss your play with your opponents. Others will be able to help you advance your game by providing insights into what you’re doing right and wrong on the court. Be sure to contact us with any questions about Pickleball or any other Sanibel Island information.