Sea Turtle & Marine Life Mortality – All Time High
You may or may not have heard about the red tide/algal bloom chaos that is going on in Florida, chances are you have since it’s pretty hard to ignore at this point. Below are just a few things that would be useful for the community to know in regard to the bloom and tips on what you can do to help put a stop to what is killing off our marine life and polluting our air.
- Red tide is caused by an overpopulation of toxic algae.
- It kills our fish, dolphins, sea turtles, and birds.
- It pollutes the air causing asthma and respiratory issues in some humans.
- Over 90 sea turtles have been found dead or in distress since October 2017 because of red tide and a 20-foot whale shark carcass recently washed up on Sanibel’s beach.
- Make sure you are voting for elected officials who support stronger water quality standards.
- Regulate fertilizer use in your own yards and gardens.
- Try planting native plants that require little or no fertilizer, they also help filter rainwater.
- Pick up after your pets.
- Spread awareness, talk to your neighbors and colleagues about water quality and let them know what they can do to help protect our oceans! The marine life will thank you.