Getting Involved On Sanibel
Living on Sanibel is more than just owning property and enjoying the many island pleasures. It is a quiet, caring bustling residential community that has a point-of-view – one that has thoughtfully managed the development of the island and preserved its natural beauty with a commitment that is widely admired.
Sanibel is a frame of mind – an idea that balances the wonders and needs of the natural world and the pleasures and needs of its people. This happened because the people made it happen. Not some grand authority. The people of Sanibel are involved and work hard to make this island the paradise it’s known to be.
They form groups, join clubs, organize environmental activities and, generally, make a difference by forming the essential support for much of the islands non-profit, worthy activities. Sanibel is probably one of the most active, engaging communities in the country. Those who choose to live here find multiple ways to volunteer and get involved – meeting their friendly neighbors along the way.
There are volunteer needs in the arts, service clubs, churches and environmental groups. You will be greeted with open arms.
Here are some of the organizations that offer volunteer opportunities. Visit their websites and learn what they do, how they benefit the island and what volunteer activities are interesting to you and could benefit from your skills.
- The Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum – www.shellmuseum.org,
- BigArts – www.BIGARTS.ORG
- Historical Village & Museum – www.sanibelmuseum.org – Sanibel Library – www.sanlib.org
- CROW – www.crowclinic.org
- SCCF – www.sccf.org
- FISH – www.fishofsancap.org
- Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge www.dingdarlingsociety.org
Service Clubs –
- Kiwanis – www.sanibelkiwanis.org
- Lions – www.sanibelcaptivalions.org
- Rotary – www.sanibelrotary.org
- Community – www.sanibelcommunitychurch.org
- Catholic – www.stisabelcatholicchurch.org
- Congregational – www.congregationalunitedchurchofchrist.org
- Episcopal – www.stmichael&angelsepiscopalchurchofchrist.org
Other – There is also a site that lists many of the islands non-profits – www.greatnonprofits.org/sanibel
That is a picture of the broad, wonderful volunteer experiences you can choose as you become a resident of this paradise island. The opportunity to lend your special skills to hhelpothers on your own terms and in concert with your neighbors.
And David Schuldenfrei is the expert who can help you get started by helping find that perfect place to live. David has more real estate experience on the islands that most anyone else. He has been openly recognized by his clients and his colleagues by being elected Realtor of the Year several times and President of the real estate association a number of times. These honors are earned by hard work and market knowledge. Call him and see what a difference a Dave makes!